Oconto County - Forest, Parks & Recreation/Land Information Systems Subcommittee - Minutes
Eugene Winter, Secretary
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2006 AT 8:30 A.M.
FOREST, PARKS & RECREATION/LAND INFORMATION SYSTEMS SUBCOMMITTEE
OF THE OCONTO COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
BUILDING A, CONFERENCE ROOM #1003-1ST FLOOR
301 WASHINGTON STREET, OCONTO, WI 54153-1699
COMMITTEE PRESENT: Louis Winkler, Eugene Winter, Vernon Zoeller, Alan Sleeter, Lawrence Hilbert
COMMITTEE ABSENT: None
OTHERS PRESENT: Robert Skalitzky, Mark Teuteberg, Todd McCourt, Carol Zoeller, Tom Wurzer, Jeff Nowakowski, Troy Sherman, Bruce Mommaerts, Robert Mraz and Kathy Goldschmidt.
- CALL MEETING TO ORDER BY CHAIR WINKLER
- APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Motion by Hilbert, second by Zoeller to approve agenda as presented. Vote carried unanimously.
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING(S)
Motion by Sleeter, second by Winter to approve minutes of August 2, and 23, 2006. Vote carried unanimously.
- APPROVAL OF DEPARTMENT BILLS FOR THE MONTH OF AUGUST
Motion by Sleeter, second by Winter to approve the bills as presented for the Forest, Parks, & Recreation Division. Vote carried unanimously.
Motion by Winter, second by Hilbert to approve the bills as presented for the Land Information Systems/Land Records Division. Vote carried unanimously.
LAND INFORMATION SYSTEMS
- LAND INFORMATION SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATORS REPORT
- LTE Position was approved by Personnel & Wages Committee September 5, three applications were received, back ground check will be conducted on selected candidate.
- Clerical position was approved by Personnel & Wages Committee. Position is pending Finance Committee approval; all positions requested will then be prioritized.
- Mr. Gross and Mr. Teuteberg will be attending a GIS Seminar October 13th in Wisconsin Dells.
- WLIA Conference will be held October 19th and 20th in Sturgeon Bay, authorization was granted to attend.
- Mr. Teuteberg was asked by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation to give a presentation on Right-of-way Plats at their annual seminar in Wausau October 3, 2006.
Motion by Zoeller, second by Sleeter to accept report. Vote carried unanimously.
- BUY BACKS
- Mr. Teuteberg reported Candace Jurgilanis requested buy back on parcel #266-0607414618 in the City of Oconto Falls, no written request was received, will proceed with eviction.
- Motion by Zoeller, second by Sleeter to authorize James & Elizabeth Barry to buy back parcel # 042-26-2602521 & 042-26-26013211 in the Town of Townsend in the amount of $8,933.47, payment due by end of month. Vote carried unanimously.
- Motion by Hilbert, second by Winter to authorize Walter and Sandra Fischer to buy back parcel # 266-0708516860, 266-0708516853, & 266-0708516861 all in the City of Oconto Falls in the amount of $11,196.97, payment due by end of month. Vote carried unanimously.
- Motion by Sleeter, second by Winter to authorize Burkley J. Kain to buy back parcel # 040-30300193431 in the Town of Stiles in the amount of $8,593.51, payment due by end of month. Vote carried unanimously.
- Motion by Sleeter, second by Hilbert to authorize Rodger & Della Otravodec to buy back parcel #018-18-1801823E in the Town of How, payment due by end of month. Vote carried unanimously.
- LAND SALE-None
- APPROVAL OF 2007 LAND INFORMATION SYSTEMS/LAND RECORDS BUDGET
Motion by Zoeller, second by Hilbert to recommend Land Information Systems/Land Records budget/schedules to Finance Committee for approval. Vote carried unanimously. Mr. Teuteberg is looking into grants for Shadow of the Dam project.
10.UPDATE ON SURVEY SERVICES PROPOSAL WITH MARINETTE COUNTY
Tabled-John LeFevere has not contacted Mr. Teuteberg.
11.OCONTO FALLS TISSUE TAX DELINQUENT
Because of large amount of back taxes due from Oconto Falls Tissue, Mr. Teuteberg will discuss issue with Finance Committee, Peter Stark will perform title search.
12.REVIEW AND APPROVE LAND INFORMATION SYSTEMS DEPARTMENT FEES
Motion by Zoeller, second by Winter to approve 2007 user fees as presented (same as 2006). Vote carried unanimously.
13.PROPERTY EXCHANGE IN THE TOWN OF ABRAMS
Motion by Zoeller, second by Sleeter to forward resolution to County Board concerning Calewarts encroachment (property exchange). Vote carried unanimously.
14.PROPERTY PURCHASE IN THE TOWN OF ABRAMS
Motion by Hilbert, second by Winter to forward resolution to county board regarding purchase of Ostrenga property to allow County Forest Road 102 to remain open (1.82 acres) in Town of Abrams. Vote carried unanimously.
15.UPDATE ON STATUS OF PLAT BOOKS
- All GIS data was sent to Plan Sight LLC to start compiling plat books.
- Mr. Teuteberg sent letter requesting towns to update information in plat book.
- Sales went very well at County Fair, 256 books were sold, approximately 80 books left.
16.MEET WITH CORPORATION COUNSEL TO DISCUSS TAX DELINQUENT PRIVATE ROADS
Motion by Sleeter, second by Hilbert not to take tax deeds on private roads and to notify towns if appears to be town road. Vote carried unanimously.
FOREST, PARKS & RECREATION
17.RECREATIONAL OFFICER REPORT-Snowmobile and ATV audits were conducted, very impressed with program. Per audit standards would like 1 citation for every $500, currently county issues 1 citation for every $300 (ATV) and 1 citation for every $325 (snowmobile). Oneida County is hiring 2 rec officers next year, funding will be down due to more requests from surrounding counties. Labor Day weekend was very busy approximately 50 citations were written over weekend. 2 ATV accidents happened over weekend, no life threatening injuries. Speed limit signs have helped control ATV Traffic. Dusty Trails ATV Club received a grant from Polaris T.R.A.I.L.S. to apply a Durasoil Dust Control agent, has helped with dust control tremendously, pictures from club were reviewed. Approximate cost to apply durasoil dust control agent is $1,000 every 100 ft. Motion by Sleeter, second by Zoeller to approve rec officer’s report and to approve quarterly transfer of funds. Vote carried unanimously.
18.FOREST & PARK ADMINISTRATORS REPORT
- $8,000 check was received from the State of WI DNR for hardwood tree planter.
- Communication was received from Gerald Schelke thanking Mr. Skalitzky for understanding and believing their circumstance regarding boat launch violation.
- Discussion was held on timber sale defaults, Mr. Skalitzky will get Mr. Mraz’s interpretation if county can take action on performance bond if loggers do not have current contract and place on next months agenda.
- WI DNR has a training seminar on Northwood Hardwoods (Argon) October 4th, forestry crew may attend.
- October 9 & 10 the Northeast Wisconsin Forest Chapter has seminar in Sturgeon Bay regarding new guide lines on Northwood Hardwoods, Mr. Skalitzky/Dave Borisch may attend.
Motion by Zoeller, second by Winter to accept report. Vote carried unanimously.
19.DNR LIAISON REPORT
- Land owner adjacent to County Forest in Town of Stiles had survey performed, Oconto County realized 2.77 acres were not harvested. Mr. Mc Court and Mr. Skalitzky set up direct timber sale to Wild Rivers Forestry Sale #109 with approximately 45 cords.
- Site prep and spraying will be applied next week to 18 acres by Shay Lake for spring tree planting, was previously a Jack Pine cut in 2005.
- Town of Breed Plantation Failure- approximately 350 trees/acre remain on plantation, want 900-1,000/acre. Crew is going to interplant in 2007, if too labor intensive with v-plow will spray with roundup.
- Trail Seeding & Mowing-
- 2006-Trail is doing ok in shady areas, poor catch in dry shady areas, will be reseeded.
- 2005-Trail doing well and will be mowed.
- 2004-Trail was damaged during 2005 logging, will be reseeded.
- $8,000 check from turkey stamp funds was sent to Oconto County for hardwood tree planter.
Motion by Zoeller, second by Winter to accept report. Vote carried unanimously.
20.DISCUSSION ON ORDINANCE 10.805 – PEDDLING & SOLICITING
Discussion was held on businesses soliciting on county property. Bruce Mommaerts will contact business association with idea of placing kiosk on county property for business members to display. Mr. Skalitzky will consult with Mr. Mraz and place on next months agenda.
21.ROAD ACCESS PERMITS
Motion by Sleeter, second by Hilbert to grant road access permit renewals to Walter Ducaine-Town of Breed, Timothy Limberg-Town of Brazeau, and Robert Baierl-Town of Oconto. Vote carried unanimously.
22.INLAND LAKES PROTECTION & REHABILITATION DISTRICT #1 REQUEST TO PLACE BOAT DOCKS ON COUNTY PROPERTY
In October 2005, Committee agreed to allow a dock placed on county property by Burnt Dam Road, but first was to inquire if the Town of Townsend wanted the property. The town is not interested, committee wants to see if the Inland Lake Protection & Rehabilitation District is interested in property and place on next months agenda.
23.LENA SNOWDRIFTERS BRIDGE “IRON BRIDGE” IN STILES
STS Consultants viewed Iron Bridge in Town of Stiles and recommended “that the bridge be closed for use until the safety of the structure can be determined”. Mr. Skalitzky has contacted the Lena Snowdrifters Club. STS Consultants submitted quote of $6,400 to fully inspect bridge, with full report to committee by October 27. Motion by Zoeller, second by Hilbert to award inspection to STS Consultants for the sum of $6,400 and place award in paper for bridge inspection, funding to come from snowmobile maintenance funds and divided by every club equally.
24.NICOLET STATE RECREATION TRAIL 10:00 A.M.
- Wurzer//Nowakowski Property- submitted a preliminary Certified Survey Map (CSM) proposing to combine all 3 lots into one and have one owner. CSM also showed the existing building encroachment on the Nicolet State Recreation Trail. Wurzer/Nowakowski requested that the first option would be to purchase the additional 25 feet from the WI DNR, similar to when Bank (adjacent property owner) purchased from the WI DOT in 2000, and second choice would be for a use permit from WI DNR for the additional 25 feet. Motion by Sleeter, second by Winter to recommend to the WI DNR to sell 25 ft parallel and adjacent to Nowakowski property (similar to bank’s property) to the intersection of the road right-of-way, if WI DNR does not wish to sell, then recommend use permit for the same area. Vote carried unanimously.
- Lakewood Trail Head-Lakewood Development Co. has proposed a Recreational Trail Head in Lakewood, just North of Cty F utilizing the town’s property and the Nicolet State Trail. This idea has resulted from the DNR requesting the trail surface be moved to east side of Nicolet State Trail property and small portion on Lakewood Development Co. property to allow Gage Street crossing of trail to be further away from Hwy 32. Town of Lakewood is considering funding the preliminary engineering so that in the Spring of 2007, Oconto County would apply for grant funding. Committee is in favor of the Lakewood Trail Head with the town being responsible for maintenance after completion.
- Gage Street Crossing-committee recommended highway easement for crossing, Mr. Winkler signed highway easement.
25.NATIONAL FOREST PAYMENTS
Motion by Hilbert, second by Winter to remain with guarantee payment and Title 3 election. Vote carried unanimously.
Majority of safety issues have been taken care of, will look into building steps to code to access mezzanine storage at shop.
- Capital Improvements-Motion by Hilbert , second by Zoeller to approve 2007 Capital Improvement budget with the following changes: large tri axle moved to 2008 and increase from $100,000 to $140,000, brush mower moved to 2009 from 2008 and dozer be moved to 2011 from 2012 (make get better price for 2 pieces of equipment when bid). Vote carried unanimously.
- 2007 User Fees-Motion by Winter, second by Hilbert to approve 2007 User Fees as presented and to change showers at NBS to .$.25 for 2 minutes instead of 3 minutes. Vote carried unanimously.
- Chute Pond Seasonal Survey-Mr. Skalitzky sent letter to seasonal’s at Chute Pond to see if they would be willing to pay more if new dock, shower/bathroom were installed, dock 24 No, 0 Yes, and Shower/bathroom 23 No, 1 Yes. No changes will be done at Chute Pond at this time.
- 2007 Budget-Motion by Sleeter, second by Zoeller to recommend the Forest, Parks & Recreation 2007 Budget to the Finance Committee for approval. Vote carried unanimously.
- LWR Budget-Mr. Teuteberg updated committee under his administrators report.
28.DISCUSSION ON LANDS ADJACENT TO COUNTY FOREST AND RECREATIONAL TRAILS
Mr. Skalitzky suggests the county needs to do more to protect their interests (County Forest, Recreational Trail Easements) from encroachments, would prefer Certified Survey Maps, but understands this would increase workload. Motion by Sleeter, second by Hilbert that the Forest, Parks, & Recreation/Land Information Systems Committee recommend to the Zoning Department that any applications for permits that are adjacent to the County Forest or the State Recreational Trail be forward to Mr. Skalitzky for review. Vote carried unanimously.
Quote was received from Dave Wendtland with STS Services for Anderson Lake boat launch. Motion by Sleeter, second by Winter to forward resolution to county board allowing Mr. Skalitzky to apply for 50% funding from the Wisconsin Waterways and 50% to come from boat land account, once project is complete county would place fees at launch. Vote carried unanimously.
30.WCFA FALL MEETING-tabled until next meeting.
31.SET FALL TOUR
September 29th at 8:30 a.m. Suring Village Hall.
32.ANNOUNCEMENTS/GENERAL INFORMATION (NO ACTION TO BE TAKEN)
Last Sunday, September 3 every spot at the Pensaukee Landing was full, and question was asked if Shawano County lowered number of supervisors on county board.
33.SET NEXT TWO MEETING DATES
Wednesday, October 4, and November 1, 2006 at 8:30 a.m.
Meeting adjourned at 12:50 p.m.
Eugene Winter, Secretary
RS/MT/kg Signed: October 4, 2006