Collier County Parks and Recreation Advisory Board Meeting Minutes
MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE COLLIER COUNTY
PARKS AND RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD
Naples, Florida, March 18, 2015
LET IT BE REMEMBERED, that the Collier County Parks and Recreation Advisory Board, in and for the County of Collier, having conducted business herein, met on this date at 2:00 P.M. in a REGULAR SESSION at Immokalee Community Park, 321 North 1st Street, Immokalee, Florida, with the following members present:
CHAIRMAN: Edward “Ski” Olesky
VICE CHAIR: Phil Brougham
David Saletko (Excused)
ALSO PRESENT: Nick Roberts, Regional Manager
Nancy Olson, Regional Manager
Arron Hopkins, Parks Supervisor
Margaret Bishop, Facilities Management
Rick Garby, Parks Superintendent
Miguel Rojas Jr., Administrative Assistant
Todd Irby, Supervisor – Parks Programs
Vickie Wilson, Supervisor Golden Gate Community Center
Corey Bischof, Parks and Recreation Maintenance
I. Call to Order
Chairman Olesky called the meeting to order at 2:00 P.M. A quorum was
established. Five (5) voting members were present.
- II. Pledge of Allegiance and Invocation
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited and Invocation was held.
- III. Approval of Agenda
Move: VI. New Business – Employee of the Month above V. Staff Highlights
Ms. Bills moved to approve Agenda as amended.
Second by Vice Chairman Brougham.
Motion carried unanimously; 5-0.
- IV. Approval of February 18, 2015 Minutes
Ms. Laemel-Gibson moved to approve the February 18, 2015 Minutes presented.
Second by Ms. Bills.
Motion carried unanimously; 5–0.
John Fuchs arrived at 2:07 P. M,
- V. Staff Highlights – Addressed after VI. Employee of the Month
- VI. New Business
Employee of the Month
Nick Roberts announced Employees for the Month as follows::
- Todd Irby, Supervisor Parks Programs - December, 2014
- Vickie Wilson, Supervisor Golden Gate Community – January, 2015
- Corey Bischof, Maintenance Worker – February, 2015
They were recognized for going above and beyond their responsibilities and were presented the “Employee of the Month” award.
- VII. Staff Highlights
Capital Project Review – Facilities Management
Staff gave a brief Capital Project Overview presentation dated March 18, 2015: (See attached)
- 80184 – Eagle Lakes Community Center
- 80% completed.
- Scheduled to be completed in April 13, 2015.
- Grand Opening date to be determined.
- 80286 - Eagle Lakes Aquatic Additions
- Commissioner Fiala would like to acquire additional parcel from neighboring preserve to avoid cramping the new pool area or sacrificing features due to space which may be doable with some mitigation costs.
- Discussion with Utilities revealed the area across from the parking lot is a better option.
- Clam Pass Beach Park – South Extension
- Both TDC and PARAB have come out against this project.
- On March 10, 2015 the BCC rejected design contract, will re-bid, have stakeholder meetings and bring back for approval.
- 80256 – Wheels Skate and BMX Track Repair
Reshape and resurface Golden Gate BMX Track using Soiltac® track surfacing material.
Some resurfacing issues were discussed.
- VI. New Business
Employee of the Month– Addressed previously
Five Year Capital Plan 2015 - 2020
For Advisory Board’s review.
“Celebrate Immokalee” Beer Sales Permission
Bernardo Barnhart – President of Immokalee Chamber of Commerce requested permission to sell beer at “Celebrate Immokalee”
Festival to be held on Saturday, March 28, 2015 at Airport Park.
Vice Chairman Brougham moved to approve the sale of beer at the “Celebrate
Immokalee” Festival. Second by Ms. Bills. Motion carried unanimously; 6-0.
Clam Pass Concession Re-decking
Staff distributed an Executive Summary to make a Recommendation to reject RFP No. 14-6301 for Design Services for Clam Pass Park Boardwalk and Restroom Facility and not proceed with the negotiated contract with Q. Brady Minor and Associates, P.A., reduce the project scope to include repair and the replacement work, and re-solicit with a new Request for Proposal. (See attached)
Staff distributed and reviewed proposals from Bradanna Inc. and Surety Construction Company for the Clam Pass for the removal and disposal of PT wood decking from the concession area and restrooms, including walkways down to the beach. A site plan of concession and walkways was also provided. (See attached)
It was noted Surety Construction Company was the lowest bidder at $223,544.56 with options for handrail and rail cap replacement.
Margaret Bishop reported TDC gave $200,000 for the project. She noted a shortfall of $50,000. They plan to ask TDC for the additional funds.
Vice Chairman Brougham moved to approve the project; to replace decking and maintenance subject to obtaining the necessary funds. Second by Mr. Fuchs. Motion carried unanimously; 6-0.
- VII. Old Business
Dog Park Update
Staff distributed an Executive Summary to make a Recommendation to accept a status report regarding existing and proposal off leash dog parks within the County Parks Sites.
Nick Roberts reported the purpose of the Executive Summary is to address issues regarding sound emanating from the Rover Run Park and to examine the prospect of locating an off-leash dog park within existing County property on Whitaker Road in East Naples.
Clam Pass Southern Update – Addressed previously
- VIII. Adopt a Park Reports
John Fuchs reported on Goodland Boat Park. He reviewed and provided “Adopt a Park Survey” completed forms.
- Liked best.
– Great spot to launch a boat
- Things that you would do to improve that could be done right away that would not cost a lot.
- Handicap ramp needs to be repaired
- Power-wash mildew
He stated people seem to have no complaints.
Hereported Margood Harbor Park. He reviewed and provided “Adopt a Park Survey” completed forms. The thing he liked best was the park is a
neat, clean and has a nice play area for children
Ms. Rebecca Gibson Laemel reported on Barefoot Beach Park and Preserve.
Vanderbilt Beach/Garage, North Collier Regional Park and Logan Preserve.
Barefoot Beach Park and Preserve
- Safe, attractive, clean and well maintained
- Hundreds of people and parking lot nearly filled by 10:30 A.M.
- Friends of Barefoot Beach volunteerism is impressive
She suggested PAR continue to work with FGCU students regarding interactive signage.
- Safe, attractive and fairly clean considering the late time of day at the beach
- Hundreds of people, some leaving and some arriving for sunset
- No evidence of volunteerism
North Collier Regional Park
- Safe, attractive, clean and looks well maintained
- Well attended
- Volunteerism was evident in the Exhibition Hall
- Fields, gymnasium and fitness center are impressive
- Signage needs to be refurbished.
She suggested retractable basketball hoops for the gymnasium.
- Short cut through pine needle path from Logan over to Pine Ridge
- Trash out of container and over-turned
- IX. Directors Highlights
Nick Roberts reported:
- Accreditation - PAR did excellent and waiting on CAPRA for results.
- Budget Summary reflected a 3% increase. Budget will be done over the next two weeks.
- Nick Casalanquido was promoted to Assistant County Manager.
X. Information Items
The Collier County Parks and Recreation - Adopt a Park Issue Tracking Report was distributed.
XI. Public Comments/Board Member Comments
Next Meeting: Regular Meeting: April 15, 2015
Location: North Regional Park, 15000 Livingston Road, Naples, Florida is scheduled for 2:00 P.M.
There being no further business for the good of the County, the meeting was adjourned by order of the Chairman at 3:23 P.M.
COLLIER COUNTY PARKS & RECREATION
Chairman Ski Olesky, Chairman
These Minutes were approved by the Committee/Board on ___________________, as presented ____or as amended ____.